Saturday, June 11, 2011

Save The Sundarbans

The Sundarbans is the biggest mangrove forest in the world. The word “Sundarban” comes from the two Bengali words “sundar” that means beautiful and “bon” that means forest. The name can be derived also from the “sundari” tree. The forest area includes in the vast delta  The forest area includes in India and Bangladesh. The 40% of the forest area is in India and the rest 60% area includes in Bangladesh.
The forest is surrounded by the river the Padma, the Meghna, the Brahmaputra, the Bhairab, the Poshur and many other rivers. The forest area covers an area of 10000 square kilometer. The Sundarbans has been declared as the world heritage site by the UNESCO in 1997. The forest is famous for Royal Bengal Tiger. There lives a variety of species in the Sundarbans including birds, snakes, spotted deer, crocodiles, monkeys, iguanas, plants and various species of insects. Recently Sundarbans have been enlisted for the New 7Wonders of the Nature in the world.

The plants of Sundarbans are different from the other trees of the world. They have their own precautionary steps against tidal flats. The rare mangrove species Heritiera fomes, locally  known as sundry or Sundari. Mangrove forests are the home to a greater variety of plants. They have a thick canopy and the undergrowth is mostly seedlings of the mangrove trees that makes them different from the other trees of the world. The Sundari as well as the other species that make up the forest includes Avicennia spp., Cereops decandra, Xylocarpus mekongensis, Xylocarpus granatum, , Bruguiera gymnorrhiza, , Aegiceras corniculatum, Rhizophora mucronata, Sonneratia apetala and Nypa fruticans palms trees.

Recently Sundarbans have been affected by several cyclones that cause a great damage to its ecosystem. But this forest have an ability to recover such a great damage.
Sundari and Gewa trees grows frequently in this area. The Sundarbans is enriched with a variety of animals. According to the counting, it is found that the Sundarbans have about 300 tigers. Near the Sundabans area tiger attack are happened frequently. Each year 100 to 200 people died because of tiger attack. In Sundarbans there lived 160 species of fishes, 270 species of birds, 40 species of mammals,35 species of reptiles and about 10000 species of insects.

The most important thing is that Sundarbans is endangered with global warming and deforestation. Due to global warming one third of the forest area have been risked to go under the water. Steps should be taken immediately to save the beautiful forest otherwise it will be lost from the world in near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment